32 Famous Sunset Quotes (& sunset quotes by famous authors)
Did you know famous people talk about sunset?
Yep, pretty much like you and I.
Victor Hugo? He sure did. Shakespeare? Yep. Actor Chris Evans? You bet he did.
Find over 30 of these famous sunset quotes below!
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Famous Sunset Quotes
When it comes to famous sunset quotes, there are 2 big categories:
- Famous sunset quotes: some of the most known quotes about sunset
- Sunset quotes by famous authors: sunset quotes specifically from famous people (writers, poets, scientists, actors, ...)
You’ll find both of these in the quotes below!
Here are 10 of the best famous quotes sunset related:
- “I just need you and some sunsets.” Atticus
- “Watch more sunsets than Netflix.”
- “A sunset is the sun’s fiery kiss to the night.” Crystal Woods
The true purpose of education is to teach a man to carry himself triumphant to the sunset.
- “Softly the evening came with the sunset.” Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- “Dusk is just an illusion because the sun is either above the horizon or below it. And that means that day and night are linked in a way that few things are there cannot be one without the other yet they cannot exist at the same time.” Nicholas Sparks
Read more: Over 45 Short Sunset Quotes (yep short, unlike the one above)
- “The sun has gone to bed and so must I.” The Sound of Music
A beautiful sunset that was mistaken for a dawn.
- “The biggest cliché in photography is sunrise and sunset.” Catherine Opie
- “Sunsets are proof that endings can often be beautiful too.” Beau Taplin
There you go, 10 great famous sunset quotes! Did you find the perfect one for you in this top 10?
No? Well, here are a few more for you in this video:
Still want more? Worry not, because I have 22 other famous quotes for you! Keep scrolling to find them all 👇
In the 10 quotes above, some were included because they’re often used, but they’re not specifically from a famous author. In fact, many of them have unknown authors.
The quotes below, though, are all from internationally known authors.
You’ll find quotes from famous writers, like Antoine de Saint-Exupéry and Stephen King; quotes from famous actors, like Jennifer Garner and Natalie Dormer; and quotes from poets, music composers, philosophers, and more.
Get more famous quotes on sunset:
- “Meanwhile the sunsets are mad orange fools raging in the gloom.” Jack Kerouac
- “You see, one loves the sunset when one is so sad.” Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
A great quote from Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, a bit on the sad side, but beautiful nonetheless.
When the sun has set, no candle can replace it.
- “Bring me the sunset in a cup.” Emily Dickinson
- “Every sunset brings the promise of a new dawn.” Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Sunset is the opening music of the night.” Mehmet Murat Ildan
- “I believe in evolution. But I also believe, when I hike the Grand Canyon and see it at sunset, that the hand of God is there also.” John McCain
- “My mother is a big believer in being responsible for your own happiness. She always talked about finding joy in small moments and insisted that we stop and take in the beauty of an ordinary day. When I stop the car to make my kids really see a sunset, I hear my mother’s voice and smile.” Jennifer Garner
- “What makes me really happy is a walk in the English countryside. A nice sunset, that British countryside it means I’m home.” Natalie Dormer
- “The water was glassy and calm, still candy-colored in the afterglow of sunset.” Stephen King
- “There is nothing more musical than a sunset.” Claude Debussy
Read more: 30+ Sunset Lyrics Quotes (speaking of musical...)
My soul is an empty carousel at sunset.
- “The setting sun, and the music at the close, As the last taste of sweets, is sweetest last, Writ in rememberance more than long things past.” William Shakespeare
- “There is only one day left, always starting over: it is given to us at dawn and taken away from us at dusk.” Jean-Paul Sartre
- “It is man’s consolation that the future is to be a sunrise instead of a sunset.” Victor Hugo
- “Don’t forget: beautiful sunsets need cloudy skies.” Paulo Coelho
One of my favorite inspirational quotes for sure!
- “I always say that the times in my life when I’ve been happiest are the times when I’ve seen, like, a sunset.” Chris Evans
- “Call for the grandest of all earthly spectacles, what is that? It is the sun going to his rest.” Thomas de Quincey
- “He glanced at the sun which, old professional that it was, chose that moment to drop below the horizon.” Terry Pratchett
How timely of that mister sun to drop right on time 🙂 Quite funny quote from author Terry Pratchett!
The Lord has turned all our sunsets into sunrise.
- “I can never forget suffering and I will never forget sunset. I came home with all of it in my mind.” Horace
- “I am very fond of sunsets. Come, let us go look at a sunset.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
And there you have them all, 32 famous sunset quotes!
I hope you found inspiration in these quotes, and that you enjoyed reading them all.
By the way, what was your favorite quote of them all? Let me know in the comments below and tell me why you loved it!
My personal favorite is #25 “It is man’s consolation that the future is to be a sunrise instead of a sunset.” by Victor Hugo – it’s a great reminder to think about what’s coming next instead of focusing on what just ended.
Pin this to Pinterest!
Enjoyed these Quotes? I'm sure others will love them too; share them with the world with the buttons below!