43 Nara Shikamaru Quotes from Naruto (about laziness, leadership & more)
Nara Shikamaru is one of the key characters from Naruto & Naruto Shippuden.
He’s part of team 10 with Ino and Choji, also known as Team Asuma.
Shikamaru is lazy by nature, but he’s also a genius and a great leader; and all of these make for some great quotes.
Even though it’s a drag, we’ve put together for you 43 Nara Shikamaru quotes!
The Best Shikamaru Nara Quotes
Let’s start things off right away with our first category, dedicated to the very best quotes from Shikamaru.
These are the most iconic quotes from him in the whole series, hands down.
Here are the best Shikamaru Nara quotes:
- “Figuring out for yourself is a valuable part of training” Shikamaru Nara
- “Sometimes I wish I was a cloud... Just floating along, going wherever the breeze takes me.” Shikamaru Nara
If you curse to kill someone, you also get killed in retribution, that’s why you need two holes for the burial.
- “Man... What a drag...” Shikamaru Nara
Probably his most iconic quote of the whole show. Just for fun, here’s a compilation of “What a drag” (spoilers ahead)
- “We’re not stupid enough to go out there planning to die.” Shikamaru Nara
- “Regardless of our limitations, we can always be of some use.” Our power may seem insignificant... but it may just prove to be useful in the grand scheme of things.” Shikamaru Nara
- “It’s stupid to talk about things you’re not. Be yourself and you’ll be fine.” Shikamaru Nara
- “Stay focused. Never avert your eyes, because if an opening arises, even our insignificant power may be enough to determine the fate of the world.” Shikamaru Nara
- “Oh man... those clouds are so lucky. So free. More to the point, I didn’t feel like doing this in the first place. And I only became a ninja because I thought life would’ve been more interesting as one... I suppose things aren’t gonna be that simple.” Shikamaru Nara
The long version of the famous Shikamaru cloud quote.
- “How many times do I have to tell you? The first move is always a feint. It’s the most basic thing, to land a hit with the second move.” Shikamaru Nara
So there you have them, the very best quotes from Shikamaru!
Wondering why there’s no quote about him being lazy? Eh, keep scrolling! 👇
Lazy Shikamaru Quotes
That’s right, there’s a full category dedicated to lazy quotes from Nara Shikamaru.
I mean, he’s without a shadow of a doubt the laziest character in Naruto, and laziness is one of his defining character traits.
Read Shikamaru quotes about laziness:
- “It really doesn’t matter to me if I ever become a chūnin or not, but I guess I shouldn’t let myself be beaten by a female, so let’s do it.” Shikamaru Nara
- “I know I usually seem like a pretty lazy guy, but not today. Because now, I’m responsible for your lives too.” Shikamaru Nara
- “It’s not because I’m lazy, it’s just because I don’t care.” Shikamaru Nara
- “Don’t you think it’s about time for us to be the ones who entrust, not the entrusted. It’s a drag, but I can’t say that.” Shikamaru Nara
In life, nothing good comes out of hurrying.
- “I’m not as rational as you say I am.” Shikamaru Nara
- “Laziness is the mother of all bad habits, but ultimately she is a mother and we should respect her.” Shikamaru Nara
- “Ughh. Great. What’s the point in setting the alarm if I’m going to wake up before it goes off? What a total waste. Now I’ve gotta shut it off but I don’t feel like moving. But if I don’t shut it off it will just keep ringing and ringing. Sigh. It makes me tired just thinking about the whole thing. Some mornings are such a drag...” Shikamaru Nara
- “Someday, I just want to marry a regular girl who isn’t too ugly and not too pretty. Have two children, first a girl, then a boy. Retire after my daughter is married and my son becomes a successful ninja, and spend the rest of my life playing shōgi or Go. Then die of old age before my wife.” Shikamaru Nara
I bet Shikamaru wouldn’t even have read that far in the post.
But hey, glad you did! And in fact, I have 24 more in stock for you below.
More Interesting Quotes from Shikamaru
Shikamaru from the Nara clan is lazy, yes, but he’s also a genius. And a great leader.
This all makes for a lot more interesting quotes from him in the series, including some pretty inspirational ones.
Get even more Nara Shikamaru quotes:
- “That pathetic Lord Jashin or whatever isn’t your God anymore. I am. The only one bringing down vengeance is me.” Shikamaru Nara, to Hidan
- “Subtle as a rhino... she might even be scarier than my mom.” Shikamaru Nara
- “I could say I’m not sad, but I’d be lying. The problem is the world won’t let me stay a kid forever, so I can’t lie around crying about it either.” Shikamaru Nara
- “When you curse someone, you dig two holes. You know what that means?” Shikamaru Nara
- About women: “C’mon.” You know what they’re like. You can never figure them out. You never know where you could stand with them. The smallest things could put you in their bad side. Always playing little mind games with you. Trying to make you do what they want. They’re just a big pain basically.” Shikamaru Nara
- “When you have that kid, I’ll have to protect it. So I’ve gotta grow up to be a cool adult too!” Shikamaru Nara
It’s because we help out when they’re in trouble that we can count on them to come running when we need it.
- “We might be trying to do something really risky... Please look after us, Asuma... Sensei.” Shikamaru Nara
- “My master entrusted me with a lot, from big things to little things. It’s the same for you, an unlimited number of things.” Shikamaru Nara
- “The mission order is still on, right? We formed a new team and we are going to execute the mission.” Shikamaru Nara
- “It’s just that... how should I put it... it’s because I’m concerned about Choji and Ino and other guys in the unit. And well, Naruto... so I’m just hanging around.” Nara Shikamaru
- “We are not that stupid. I have no intention to die... but, I don’t want to give up without setting things straight... I don’t want to live a crappy life like that.” Shikamaru Nara
- “You would think just this once, when it was life or death, I could pull through.” Shikamaru Nara
- “That doesn’t scare me. We believe in different things. I believe in the will of fire.” Shikamaru Nara
- “It’s the will of fire... the will to protect our village. Goodbye, Sensei...” Shikamaru Nara
- “He turned a room full of strangers into a room full of enemies with just one sentence.” Shikamaru Nara
- “These woods are a special place in the Land of Fire. Our family is the only one allowed in. No one else comes here. Our family will always keep an eye on you.” Shikamaru Nara
Even a little power could change the future of the world.
- “I only became a ninja because I thought life would’ve been more interesting as one... I suppose things aren’t gonna be that simple.” Shikamaru Nara
- “Someday you’ll be the one to treat others to ramen and you’ll be called Naruto Sensei. We can’t stay kids forever, like Asuma and Jiraiya, I wanna be as cool as them.” Shikamaru Nara
- “Sorry I am late, but I won’t hesitate anymore.” Shikamaru Nara
- “If women made you a better person, I wouldn’t want to know what you were like before.” Shikamaru Nara
- “This keepsake lighter... when I have this, it’s as if Asuma Sensei is nearby. It’s as if he is protecting us. It just feels that way.” Shikamaru Nara
- “I never really liked Sasuke, but all the same, he’s a member of the Hidden Leaf village, he’s a comrade and I’ll put my life on the line to help him, that’s the way of our village.” Shikamaru Nara
And there you have them all, the 43 Shikamaru quotes from Naruto.
I hope you liked them, and that you enjoyed reading them all.
By the way, what was your favorite quote of them all? Let me know in the comments below and tell me why you loved it!
My personal favorite is #13 “It’s not because I’m lazy, it’s just because I don’t care.” – the great reason behind him not doing much (or is it just an excuse?).